Are you among those newbies who have a wrong idea about Glamour and Fashion Photography?
Most of the times it is seen that emerging photographers and professional photographers often get confused in these two different photography genres.
Well to be clear, the name of these two techniques might be perplexing but they are quite dissimilar from one another.
If you are looking to expand your career in photography, you must understand the similarities and dissimilarities between these two genres of digital photography. Before diving into it, first let’s understand what Glamour and Fashion Photography is.
What is Glamour Photography?
Glamour photography can be consider euphemism for erotic photography. It’s a genre of photography in which the model or professionally known as ‘the subject’ is capture in different sensual poses either fully clothes or stripped.
It’s a genre of photography in which the model or professionally known as ‘the subject’ is captured in different sensual poses either fully clothed or stripped.
This genre focuses on highlighting the exquisite beauty of the model; Physical aspects of body image, shape and colour tone are heighten.
This type of photography is colloquially known as “cheesecake” for women and “beefcake” for men.
A combination of various photo editing services like cosmetics, lightning and airbrushing were used by the photographers to portray an alluring picture of the subject emphasizing its charisma and charm.
It is said that a glamour photographer makes sure that the beauty, sexiness, allure, dazzle, fine lines and even romance is perfectly captured by the camera and the viewers could sense it while witnessing its attractiveness.
It is generally intended for designing a new calendar, pinups and commercial magazines and thus, the models are highly confident about their physical appearance and professional towards their work.
Photographic lightening, satin cloth and exotic poses by the models is everything glamour photography is about.
What is Fashion Photography?
Unlike glamour photography, fashion photography has its presence in our early history. This genre of photography intends to display clothing, lifestyle and other fashion items with utmost perfection.
Fashion photography is often conduct for advertisements or fashion magazines such as Vogue, Vanity Fair, or Elle.
Note: The photographer decides the location of the photo shoot on the basis of the glamour and fashion photography session. An inside or boudoir photo shoot is preferred for glamour photography whereas for a fashion photography preference of location depends on various factors.
Major Difference between Glamour and Fashion Photography
- A model’s physical appearance is what matters in glamorous photography. Props, locations and other aspects are less important than a model
- Creative photographic special effects like black and white, colour pop are highly appreciat to catch the viewer’s response but the priority remains the same
- Face and physical features of the model remain the centre of attraction
- Glamour photo shoot is time consuming as precision is important.
- Glamour photography involves less staff as involvement of a makeup artist and a photographer will serve the purpose.
- It is comparatively less-expensive than photo shoot processes.
- Fashion photography is for advertising lifestyle products, like shoes, handbags, clothes etc. It highlights the quality of product not the person along with it.
- Synchronization of various aspects of photography like light, colour intensity, product features plays a vital role in capturing perfect fashion photography.
- It’s quite expensive compare to glamour photography. Cost of a photographer, along with a makeup artist, a dress designer, hair stylist etc., and raise the overall cost of fashion photography.
- Mesmerising outdoor locations are always a plus for fashion photography.
The difference between glamour and fashion photography makes these genres poles apart. Now you can easily identify that the objective is important to identify which type of photography you should go for. Else, you always have an option to trust the experts.